Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Leather and Tweed

Why, hello there, and Happy New Year to you, my friends. 
I do hope you are enjoying this holiday and that you didn't drink yourself into a horrific hangover that could rival the movie. You have all of your fingers and teeth, yes? Then I suppose you're already in pretty good shape. 

2012 brought me a beautiful, sweet baby niece (who's also my goddaughter) and a happy little chunky monkey of a nephew. Even though 2012 brought two bouncing babies whom I love and I used to work in the infant room at the Goddard School, it's a shame that I'm still terrified of babies (except for my niece--I figure I'm her only aunt, so she has to like me.) I'm petrified that I'll poke its eye out with one of my buttons or make it wail until it chokes on air, so I'm never one of those women who says, "let me hold your baaaby." Plus, every parent is different. Some want to swaddle them in a Hazmat suit so that no germs infect them, while others wouldn't mind if you took them in for a week. So, unless I know the parents really well, I just coo and make stupid faces at the children from afar. 

2012 brought me a lot of peace. I've come to terms with the fact that I cannot be perfect, and there is no reason to beat myself up over it. All of my papers won't get graded in one day (or even one week), and that's okay. I do not have time to make cookbook worthy meals, and that's okay. I cannot scratch off everything on my to-do list, and that's okay. As long as I do my best to be my best, I need to be satisfied with my efforts versus chastise myself for not being better. 

2012 brought me a lot of wonderful things, so I'm excited to see what 2013 has in store for me! I'm especially excited for my best friend's wedding! :) 


 This coat is so old that I cannot remember how I came to own it. Was it a gift? Did I get it for myself? I have no idea. I just know that it's from Express, and apparently it fits right in with the current faux fur trend. 
 I didn't want to be all brown, so I tried to add some color with my top and, obviously, my lips :)


Outfit Deets:
Coat: Express (here's a similar one, or this one)
Long Sleeve Top: Kohl's (here's a similar version for $6
Scarf: Gift :)
Hat: Target 
Tweed skirt: The Limited (try this one or this one)
Tights and socks: No clue, but you could try Target
Boots: Diba via DSW (love these--pictures of them have been floating around Pinterest)



So, if you want to feel inspired, check out the best photos of 2012. Pretty dang cool.
I hope you enjoy these random little links and tidbits. 

3 comments:

  1. so cute! love the yellow + brown combo!

    your fellow it-lister,
    -natalie-
    www.thesecondbestblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! I love the layering and all the faux fur! I am a bit jealous of your snow scenery too :( Makes me long for when I lived in Chicago.

    http://www.mythriftychic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so adorable!
    Liz
    http://liz-makes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.